Be Sociable, Share! Tweet Last week I posted about 20 questions to “see” during a sales interview. This week, let’s get a bit more absolute and talk about questions you can really ask. When you talk to an account exec it’s great to understand what makes them tick. It’s good to remind them that there are no wrong answers to these questions (although, in reality, there can be). It’s good to put them on the spot and see how they react. With that said, here’s the list of questions I use when I’m interviewing someone for an account executive role, account management role or a business development role. You’ll notice that many of them help you align the interests, goals and personality of the prospect with your company culture and offerings. I’d love to take credit for all of the questions, but they are really a mix of my own questions plus questions I’ve heard others ask over a long period of time. 72 Interview Questions to Ask a Sales Rep Do you prefer to find new accounts or farm existing accounts? What motivates you as a sales professional? What traits do you believe make up the most effective sales representatives? What sales quotas are you accustomed to? How comfortable are you with cold-calling? How long was the average sales cycle at your previous jobs? Who were your most profitable target markets at your previous jobs? How would you describe your sales technique? What are some common hurdles you’re facing right now as a sales representative in your current position? Can you give me an example of a complex...
Be Sociable, Share! TweetIn the last post we talked about general KPIs. In this post I’d like to focus on sales based KPIs. For most organizations, sales is the lifeblood of the company. If you don’t have sales, you don’t have revenue. There are a number of simple Key Performance Indicators you can use to measure how your sales team is performing. Many of these KPIs can be tracked via your accounting software or CRM software out of the box. Others may require a bit of tweaking. Quoted Pipeline ($) – The dollar value of your pipeline measured in a consistent way. We used to track the percentage of low, medium and high probability opportunities that closed and would multiple each “bucket” by the closed percentage. For example, if we had 80% of our high probability, 50% of our medium probability and 20% of our low probability opportunities close while they were in those respective buckets, our quoted pipeline would be (Total $’s in the high probability bucket X 80%) + (Total $’s in the medium bucket X 50%) + (Total $’s in the low bucket X 20%). Win/Loss Ratio (%) – The ratio of the number of leads in vs. the number of deals closed. Once again, this has to be measured in a consistent way. Are you using “qualified” leads? All leads? My preference is measuring all leads. If you get a lot of unqualified opportunities through the door you need to change how you acquire leads. Quotation Conversion Rate (%) – Similar to the Win/Loss Ratio, this ratio measures how many quotes or proposals you generate...
Be Sociable, Share! Tweet We’re working with an Albany NY based company in the e-commerce affiliate market (Amazon Affiliate, eBay Affiliate, etc.) that had enterprise software and is now offering a SaaS product based on it. They have a decent amount of existing …Read More »
Be Sociable, Share! TweetWe all believe that getting your message right will resonate with potential buyers, improve your brand’s positioning and increase your sales. By reading this article, you’ll have a better understanding of a valuable tool – emotional branding – …Read More »
Be Sociable, Share! Tweet Let’s talk about disruption. Newspapers and magazines always felt that when the Internet came around they could continue to survive on print editions. Wrong. Journalism lives, but the printed word on paper continues to decline as …Read More »
Be Sociable, Share! Tweet Many a USA based small business has received a request to sell their products to a foreign company. Often they are reluctant to do so because they are afraid of not getting paid. To mitigate the …Read More »
Be Sociable, Share! Tweet This post is going to be short and simple. One of the most overused quotes on the Internet – maybe in general – is by Albert Einstein. “The definition of insanity is doing the same thing …Read More »